Webinar: Restorative Justice Solutions for Hate Crime
Tuesday 31 August 2021, 15:00 – 16:30 CEST, online
Organized by the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) and the Association of Counselling Centers for Victims of Right-wing, Racist and Anti-Semitic Violence in Germany (VBRG).
Restorative justice solutions emphasize the need to repair the harm caused by a criminal act, focusing less on retributive aspects of criminal justice. These solutions can substitute a criminal proceeding or applied in parallel to or after criminal proceedings. They can also involve communities, addressing the wider and devastating impact of hate crimes on society.
The webinar is organized as part of the Enhancing Stakeholder Awareness and Resources for Hate Crime Victim Support (EStAR) project. It will explore the general picture of the existing restorative justice practices and their implementation. Leading experts and practitioners in the field will highlight the benefits and considerations in applying restorative justice solutions for hate crime and ways to ensure that victims are placed at the center of such solutions.
- Dr Petra Masopust Šachová, Lecturer at the Department of Criminal Law of the Law Faculty of Palacký University in Olomouc, Chairperson of the Czech Institute for Restorative Justice and a board member of the European Forum for Restorative Justice (EFRJ)
- Dr Mark Austin Walters, Professor of Criminal Law and Criminology at the University of Sussex and Co-chair of the International Network for Hate Studies
- Ms. Wioletta Rührer, Social Worker and Probation Officer at NEUSTART
- Ms. Linda Millington, Deputy Director of the “Why me?” charity, managing the Restorative Justice Service and working with the team of Restorative Justice Ambassadors
- Mr. Niran Akintunde, Sulah Service Coordinator at Community Justice Initiatives (CJI)
If you are a criminal justice professional working to enhance your national hate crime victim support structures, a civil society representative working on hate crime victim support or have interest in criminal and restorative justice, please join the webinar here (passcode: 76670234).
Find out more information here: https://www.osce.org/odihr/494062